Jenny Alexopulos, D.O.
Director of Graduate Medical Education
Kenneth B. Smith, D.O.
OSU Center for Health Sciences
1111 W. 17th St.
Tulsa, OK 74107
OSU University Health Services
1202 W. Farm Road
Stillwater, OK 74078
OSU Medical Center
Primary Care Sports Medicine Residency
This is a 12-month program of specialized training and experience designed to provide an environment for the primary care physician to develop clinical competency in applying his/her knowledge, skills, and attitudes to those engaged in sport and exercise. The program is based at three (3) sites on the campus of Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK.
The Athletic Department training room, in the newly expanded Gallagher-Iba Arena, will provide the fellow a state-of-the-art sports training facility for triage and treatment of over 550 Division I athletes participating in 13 intercollegiate sports. Directed one-on-one supervision with both orthopedic and primary care sports medicine physicians provides excellent hands-on exposure.
Oklahoma State University Health Center, with its diverse patient population will provide the fellow with his/her required 20% training in their primary care specialty.
The Oklahoma State University Seretean Wellness Center offers a wide variety of programs, including physical therapy, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation and exercise, physiology, as well as nutritional counseling.
In addition to the above, the fellow will utilize the resources at the OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, Tulsa campus, incorporating its on-site library, laboratory and research facility, as well as making use of the state-of-the-art telemedicine capabilities. Hospital privileges will be maintained along with sports medicine staff at Stillwater Medical Center.
- Completion of primary care residency
- Physiology and biomechanics of exercise
- Basic nutritional principles and their application to exercise
- Psychological aspects of exercise, performance and competition
- Guidelines for evaluation prior to participation in exercise
- Physical conditioning requirements for various activities
- Pathology and pathophysiology of illness and injury as it relates to exercise
- Effects of disease on exercise and the use of exercise in the care of medical problems
- Prevention, evaluation, management and rehabilitation of injuries
- Understanding pharmacology and the effects of therapeutic performance-enhancing and recreational drugs
- Promotion of physical fitness and healthy lifestyles
- Functioning as team physician
- Ethical principles as applied to exercise and sport
- Medical-legal aspects of exercise and sport
- Anatomy related to exercise
- Growth and development related to exercise