Frequently Asked Questions
- Does OSU-COM provide accommodations for disabilities to medical students?
Yes, OSU-COM will provide reasonable accommodations to medical students with disabilities, as defined by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and /or Section 502 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act.
- What are “reasonable” accommodations?
Reasonable accommodations do not pose an undue hardship on OSU-COM, result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of the academic program or activity, or result in an undue financial or administrative burden on OSU-COM.
- What is the purpose of an accommodation for a disability?
An accommodation for a disability is intended to assure equal access to educational opportunities. Disability accommodations are not intended to assure academic success.
- Do all disabilities entitle a student to accommodations?
No, only a disability that “substantially limits one or more major life activity (e.g. learning)" entitles a student to accommodations for that disability.
- What do I do if I think that I might need accommodations for a disability?
Contact Angela Bacon in the Office of Student Affairs for advice regarding College procedures for medical students applying for disability accommodations.
- Who is responsible for initiating a request for accommodations for a disability?
The student desiring accommodations for a disability is responsible for submitting a written request for accommodations accompanied by written substantiation of the disability and requested accommodations. Angela Bacon in the Office of Student Affairs will provide students with the appropriate forms and advice for completing forms. The Committee on Students with Disabilities will take no action without a written request and appropriate substantiation.
- Who is responsible for assuring that a request for accommodations for a disability is submitted in a timely manner and is complete?
The student is responsible for submitting a written request accompanied by appropriate substantiation.
- Who decides whether a student will receive accommodations for a disability?
The College’s Committee on Students with Disabilities is responsible for review and approval of student requests for accommodations related to disabilities. This is a faculty committee.
- When should a student submit a request for accommodations for a disability?
Requests may be submitted at any time, but remember that, for some types of disabilities, obtaining appropriate substantiation may take weeks. Submit requests for accommodations as early as possible. Do not delay.
- Is approval of a request for accommodations for a disability retroactive to the beginning of the semester or the academic year?
No, accommodations are provided only for activities that occur after approval of the request for accommodations.
- Do I need to renew my request for accommodations every year?
Typically, requests for accommodations will be approved for the remainder of the student’s undergraduate medical career. There may be exceptions.
- What if the Committee does not approve my request?
Students may appeal the decision of the Committee on Students with Disabilities by submitting a letter to the Committee (via Angela Bacon in the Office of Student Affairs) explaining why he or she believes the decision is unfair or unreasonable. If the student disagrees with the Committee’s decision on the appeal, the student may make a final appeal to the Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. For details of the appeal process, see the OSU-COM Policy on Accommodations for Students with Disabilities.
- Is my request for accommodation confidential?
Information about a student’s disability is considered private and will be kept confidential. Faculty, administrators, and staff members who have a legitimate educational need to know will be informed about approved accommodations for a student. For confidentiality details, see the OSU-COM Policy on Accommodations for Students with Disabilities.
- Who informs my teachers that I am entitled to receive accommodations?
It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for specific accommodations in each course and clerkship for which the student desires to request approved accommodations. A student who does not request accommodations according to procedures described in the course syllabus, or before they are needed in a specific course/clerkship, or with sufficient lead time to make appropriate arrangements, will not receive the accommodations.
- Do I need to justify my need for accommodations to every teacher?
No, a student need only provide a teacher with a copy of the signed Notice of Accommodations.
- What should I do if a teacher refuses to provide approved accommodations?
Contact Angela Bacon in the Office of Student Affairs.
- Does OSU-COM notify potential residency programs or other employers about student disabilities?
OSU-COM does not notify potential residency programs or other employers about student disabilities without prior written permission from the student. Since students receiving approved accommodations are held to the same standards as all other students, OSU-COM does not note any information about disabilities or accommodations on student transcripts or in the official Dean’s letter.