Clinical Decision Support Tools
EBM Point-of-Care Databases
- Physical Examination and Diagnosis Skills Videos [use Internet Explorer 6 or 7] - Examination techniques covering all organ systems cross linked with abnormal and normal findings on real patients. Heart sound interpretation, from basic to advanced, is included with animated tutorials. Ophthalmoscopy techniques are shown with retinal findings in motion as in the real examination.
- VisualDx - visual diagnostic tool with 20,000 images represented in more than 900 visually diagnosable diseases including not only common conditions, STDs, and reportable infections, but also bioterrorism and emerging infections diseases. Patient visual clues, patient symptoms, signs, medical history, etc. are entered to refine the differential, which can be seen visually to compare directly with the patient's presentation.
- Faculty of 1000 Medicine & Biology - most important recent papers in clinical medicine as judged by 2500 top medical scientists.
- Drug Information Resources
- Epocrates - contains 3,300 drug monographs (brand and generic) giving extensive data on mechanisms of action, dosing, adverse reactions, drug interactions, contraindications, abbreviations, pricing, photos, etc.
- New Medicines - a PhRMA website which provides a list of new medicines approved and/or currently in clinical trials at FDA for review.
- NLM Drug Information Portal - covers 16,000 drugs providing current information regarding consumer health, clinical trials, AIDS- related drug data, pharmacological actions, PubMed biomedical literature, and physical properties and structure - - all retrieved by searching on a drug name.
- Natural Standard - resource for complementary and alternative therapies using comprehensive methodology and reproducible grading scales to yield evidence-based, consensus-based, and peer-reviewed informaton.
- DynaMed - an evidence-based, clinical decision support tool containing more than 3000 up-to-date clinical topic summaries with information on etiology, directed history and physical findings, differential diagnoses and diagnostic testing, prognosis, treatment, prevention, links to patient education resources, and the most common ICD-9 Codes.
- FIRSTConsult - an evidence-based, clinical decision support tool containing more than 600 medical conditions, 1500 diagnoses, 300 signs and symptoms, 300 patient education sheets in English and Spanish, 1400 of the most common ICD-9 Codes, and 30 Surgical/Diagnostic procedures. Accessible from local and remote locations.
- PIER (From ACP) - an evidence-based, clinical decision support tool containing more than 330 disease modules, 11 videos, 14,000 pages of medical condition and diagnostic text, and 2500 graphs and tables. Integrated with STAT!Ref. Accessible from local and remote locations.
- Trip Database - an evidence-based, highly respected, clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice by simultaneous searching multiple web sites to locate 1000s of topics relevant to clinical medicine including guidelines, systematic reviews, EBM synopses, etc.
- UpToDate - an evidence-based, clinical decision support tool containing more than 60,000 pages of original text covering 7,000 topics in primary care and internal medicine from 3000 expert contributors, 250 patient education sheets, 15,000 graphics, and 160,000 MEDLINE abstracts. Accessible only from 3 sites: OSU CHS Campus on West 17th Street, the Health Care Center at 2345 Southwest Blvd, and the Houston Center Clinic at 717 S. Houston Ave.