Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences

Registrar FAQ

How can I get a copy of my transcript or other academic records?

Students and Alumni must request records in writing including their signature authorizing the release of academic information.  The CHS campus does not currently support electronic request; any requests utilizing the electronic request system will be sent to the Stillwater campus and will be delayed or possibly not fulfilled.  Requestors may fax or scan in and e-mail records requests.  E-mail requests MUST include a written signature either scanned in as an attachment or done on a tablet computer.  A records request form can be found on the Registrar Records website.

How long does it take to get my records?

Records requests are generally fulfilled within one to two business days.  Requests requiring retrieval of records from storage (ie, copies of diplomas for Alumni of the College) take two to three business days.  If there is a Bursar or other hold on the account, the request will not be fulfilled until the hold has been removed, so it is important to include up-to-date contact information on any records request.

How can I get my class rank?

MS III and MS IV students may request their rank at any time.  Because third and fourth year students receive grades on a monthly, rather than semester, basis, a new rank is rolled approximately every 6 to 8 weeks.  MS I and II students may request rank only during "official rank" periods, which are announced via e-mail by the Registrar's office.  Official rank is available during a three week period at the end of each semester of MS I and MS II years. 

Please note that spring rank is usually not available until August due to students remediating courses over the summer.  The exception to this policy is if rank is needed for scholarship or other official purposes.  In these cases, the Registrar's office will be happy to mail a rank letter directly to an institution. 

How is my class rank calculated?

Unlike your GPA, class rank is based on the percentage grade received in each class.  A 6 hour class will be weighted higher than a 2 hour course.  If two students have a 3.0 GPA, one may have an actual percentage average of 80, while the other could have an 89.  The difference will be reflected in the class ranking.


Students who do not have to take previously completed coursework during their MS I year or who have had previous exposure to the materials because they are repeating the year are considered "Five Year Students." All other students are considered "Four Year Students" for purposes of class rank. If there are 115 students in the class, Five Year Students receive a class ranking including all 115 students in the class. The rank is then re-calculated excluding all students in this population, and the rank that the Four Year Students receive is calculated excluding any Five Year Students.

For example, if there are 95 Four Year Students, their rank would be calculated out of 95 students rather than the full class of 115. If students have not taken a particular course with the rest of the class, then the percentage grade used to calculate class rank will be input using the score they received while completing the course as a Bridge or M.S. student. 

I'd like to take the USMLE.  What do I do?

Students are responsible for registering for the USMLE.  Visit nbme.org for more information. There is a paper form which you will print out, complete, and bring to the Registrar's office for completion. Please note that you cannot access the form until you have set up your account and paid for the exam. A passport-sized photo must be affixed to your form in order for us to sign it. Forms without a photo attached will not be signed.

Once you have submitted the completed form, NBME will contact the school and request an electronic verification of your enrollment.  If this is not completed on your behalf, please call or e-mail the Registrar's office and someone will log in and complete this process for you.  Please note that the USMLE is an elective test and Student Affairs does not receive copies of your scores.  If you need scores sent to an elective rotation site or residency program, please be sure that you furnish a copy of them.

How do I register for the COMLEX exams?

Approval for COMLEX is processed automatically by the Registrar's Office prior to each level of the exam.   If you are having problems scheduling your exam or you are not approved to take it, please contact the Registrar's office for help.  Level 3 approval generally is processed within the first month after graduation.

How do I enroll at OSU-CHS?

Medical students are automatically enrolled at each step of their education. Graduate student enrollment and most services are handled through the Graduate College on main campus. Graduate students have the ability to self-enrProspective or current graduate students can visit the main website page at http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/ and hover over the “Graduate Schools” link. This will pull up a menu of our graduate programs with links to contact and other information for each program.

How do I change my name?

Students who need to process a name change should turn in the relevant paperwork to the Registrar's Office.  Photocopies will be made of all sealed official documents and returned to the student.  Please include a written statement telling us exactly how you want your name to appear in your records (ie, middle initial, full middle name included, maiden name hyphenated with married name, etc).  Students wishing to change their name must submit both their new driver’s license and a copy of their new social security card.

Students can change their email address via the student self-service system; students with questions should contact the Tulsa Helpdesk.

I'm eligible for Veteran's Benefits – what do I do?

Please see the V.A. section of the Registrar's website.

I'm classified as an out of state resident. I'd like to change to in-state. How can I do that?

Students seeking in-state residency should complete a petition for in-state residency.  To download the petition and form more information about what constitutes an in-state resident, please see the OSU-CHS Registrar Oklahoma Residency website. Please note that if you are a current OSU-COM student who has accepted an out-of-state seat in medical school, you will only be able to change your residency if you marry an existing Oklahoma resident. Students attending school full-time in Oklahoma are considered to be here for educational purposes by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and remain out-of-state as long as they are continually attending school.

How does coursework appear on my transcript if I repeat or remediate a course?

Remediators: Students who receive a D or a U who have to remediate a course over the summer can receive a grade no higher than a C/70% after successful remediation.  A grade change will be processed to change the D or U to a C on the transcript. Students who log in to view their unofficial transcript will see D / C or D / U or similar because the unofficial transcript serves as an historical record of what has occurred in the course. Only the final, updated grade of C will appear when students request an official transcript.

Repeaters: When students have to repeat all or part of a year, their previous grades earned are excluded from their GPA; however, all grades will still appear on the transcript from the prior year or semester. Each course will have a transcript notation stating that it is excluded from the GPA. Only the new coursework from the repeat year or semester will calculate into the GPA and credit hours.

How does academic probation appear on my transcript? What if I receive a non-cognitive grade for unprofessional behavior in one of my courses or rotations?

Probation: Students placed on academic probation will see a notation with the date of the probation listed on their transcript. This date will be the date that they receive a letter from the Office of Academic Affairs placing them on probation. Once students are removed from probation, they will receive a second letter approving their release. Another notation noting the date that academic probation was removed will then be placed onto the transcript. Note: Students who are on probation during their education may be asked to report this information when completing licensure or other documents as practicing physicians. It is important to keep records and accurately report this when asked, as the school will generally also be asked to report this information. Self-reported information that does not match your school records can impede you in the licensing process.

Non-Cogs: Students will usually meet with the Academic Standards Committee when receiving a non-cog in a course or rotation. The committee will make a recommendation and the student will receive a letter from the Office of Academic Affair with a course of recommended action. All letters and other paperwork associated with receipt of a non-cog are placed in the student file, but nothing is noted on the transcript unless the student is also placed on academic probation associated with the non-cog.

OSU-CHS on Facebook OSU-CHS on Twitter OSU-CHS on Foursquare OSU Medicine on YouTube Google+